IDEA2, convened by the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, is a cross-functional group made up of unit leaders brought together to uphold the College’s DEI values and further its related goals. These institutional thought partners collectively aim to support a culture and climate where people of all identities feel welcome and respected. On the heels of administrative units undertaking DEI planning, conversations will center around DEI opportunities and challenges in units (and beyond) at the College. The work will be centered around four guiding principles: Community, Innovation, Responsibility, and Restoration. Through IDEA2 we aim to:
- Foster dialogue, facilitate collaboration, and offer collective support around engaging DEI values and goals.
- Further understand and appreciate the diversity of our community.
- Empower institutional stakeholders to think outside the box and develop tools to support units as they consider DEI-related opportunities and challenges.
- Ensure that our operations and physical environments are welcoming to all constituents.
- Facilitate an understanding of and commitment to restorative practices throughout the institution.
- Develop and promote DEI initiatives at the unit level to strengthen our organizational culture.
Starting in October 2022, IDEA2 will convene on a monthly basis and address the topics set forth below and other pressing institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion needs that arise.
Planning - Discuss DEI opportunities and challenges in units and on-campus and exchange promising practices to promote greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Elevating Opportunities and Challenges - Engage in open and honest dialogue about taking advantage of opportunities and overcoming challenges to building a more inclusive community.
People - Embrace strategies to recruit, develop and retain a diverse community.
Places - Ensure our facilities and spaces are inclusive and accessible to all.
Education - Create an inclusive intellectual environment and a community of lifelong learners.
Assessment - Leverage our collective expertise to document actionable items and results; and identify promising systems of accountability that will further concrete, positive change around diversity, equity, and inclusion at Williams.
We anticipate IDEA2 members will help refine diversity, equity, and inclusion plans in their own units.