The Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion convenes IDEA², a cross-functional group made up of unit leaders brought together to uphold the mission of the college around diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as to address some of the most pressing institutional needs with regard to DEI.
This group of institutional thought partners will collectively support a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion where everyone feels welcome and affirmed by thinking about DEI opportunities and challenges in their own units and in others across the College. The group’s work is centered around four guiding principles: Community, Innovation, Responsibility, and Restoration. These principles will inform our work, which aims to:
- Foster dialogue, facilitate collaboration, and offer support around engaging DEI.
- Further understand and appreciate the diversity of our community.
- Empower institutional stakeholders to think outside the box and develop tools to support units as they consider diversity, equity, and inclusion opportunities and challenges.
- Ensure that our operations and physical environments are welcoming to all constituents.
- Facilitate an understanding of and commitment to restorative practices throughout the institution.
- Promote DEI activities and initiatives at the unit level to strengthen our organizational culture.
Starting in January 2021, IDEA² will convene on a monthly basis and address the topics set forth below and other pressing institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion needs that arise.
Planning - Discuss DEI strengths and weaknesses in units and on-campus and exchange promising practices to promote greater diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Elevating Challenges and Opportunities - Engage in open and honest dialogue about taking advantage of opportunities and overcoming challenges to building a more inclusive community.
People - Develop strategies to recruit, develop and retain a diverse community.
Places - Work to ensure our facilities and spaces are inclusive and accessible to all.
Education - Create an inclusive intellectual environment and a community of lifelong learners.
Assessment - Leverage our collective expertise to document actionable items and results, and identify promising systems of accountability that will further concrete, positive change around diversity, equity, and inclusion at Williams.
We anticipate IDEA² members will partake in the development of diversity, equity, and inclusion planning in their own units, in support of the College’s institutional DEI planning process.